A University being a public institution, has to exercise its responsibility to maintain its quality and standards. Quality assurance is the means by which a University can guarantee with confidence and certainty that standards of its awards and quality of its education provision and knowledge generation are being maintained. Centre for Quality Assurance (CQA), which was formerly known as Internal Quality Assurance Unit (IQAU) of the University of Sri Jayewardenepura is responsible for carrying out the quality assurance activities and coordinating these activities in line with the National Quality Assurance Framework of Sri Lanka under the directions of Quality Assurance Council (QAC) of University Grants Commission (UGC).CQA of the University is headed by a Director, who is working on part time basis, to fulfill the academic and administrative tasks involved with the CQA. Each faculty of study has established a faculty Quality Assurance (QA) Cell to guide and oversee the quality assurance activities relevant to programs of study.
The objectives of CQA:
- To institutionalize a culture of quality assurance in accordance with national guidelines and international practices
- Ensure that the University procedures are aligned with UGC requirements and national requirements
- Develop and maintain favorable public perception of the University, through improved quality of education based on consistent practice of quality assurance procedures
The major functions of CQA:
- Support the University and program offering entities within the University (i.e. departments of study, faculties and institutes) , in preparation for external quality assurance assessments and accreditation requirements.
- Offer guidance and assistance to program offering entities in defining program objectives and outcomes, graduate profiles and course curricular which are in accordance with national reference points such as the Sri Lanka Qualification Framework and Subject Benchmark Statements.
- Support establishment and effective functioning of Faculty QA cells.
- Promote and coordinate all quality assurance activities within the University, through conduct of workshops, seminars, development of manuals and other appropriate capacity building activities.
- Liaise with the Quality Assurance Council of the UGC other external quality assurance agencies as well as relevant international agencies.
- Develop, review and revise by-laws and standard operational procedures necessary for governance and management of the CQA.